- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
- We have extracted pure caffeine from Green Tea. This picture is an overview of what we did:
We used Buchner filtration instead of normal filtration, as it is faster as compared to the typical simple, slow, gravity filtration, due to the vacuum pipe attached. Furthermore, we have a thicker solution, hence it is required to have it sped up.
- What did you learn today?
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
I have learnt that caffeine is a drug used to improve alertness, but it must be consumed in moderation as it can be lethal in high doses. I have also learnt that caffeine is produced by plants as a natural pesticide.
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere
Today's activities have been fun as I have learnt a lot more about caffeine and the ways to extract caffeine. This project is very useful in verifying the amount of caffeine that is present in our drinks.